Thursday, April 2, 2009

Live Earth Farm CSA

OK, check out the sheer awesomeness of my vegetable and fruit bounty.

Where's a cornucopia when you need one.
IMG_2400

No, I did not grow all this myself, but I like to think that I'm on my way to more enlightenment in the way of growing food because I joined the Live Earth Farm CSA program (aka, farm share) this year and picked up my first weekly order yesterday. Nevermind the fact that I am totally flummoxed as to what I could possibly make with all these leafy greens (currently furiously searching Epicurious with the keyword "red chard"), but we ARE going to eat all these vegetables in some way or other, even if this means disguising the collard greens in pizza or ice cream in order to get Husband to eat it. He's never been too pumped on vegetables, but I got pretty good at feeding them to him when I was a vegemetarian because I like to cook, and I've learned over the years what will and will not be consumed in my household.

I did get him to take an apple with him to work today.

Hub was excited about the romaine lettuce (behind the Crazy Big Leeks) because he likes Caesar salad.
IMG_2405

One thing I don't understand though is why organic vegetables always have to look like shit compared to the shiny, mass-produced supermarket counterparts. Now, I know the big chains wax their apples and grow their grapes in gnarly pesticides and what-have-you, but really, can't organic carrots be uniform in shape, too? Sometimes, I think the hippies do it on purpose.

Don't hate us because we're malformed.
IMG_2407

I'm excited and terrified at the same time at the thought of finding creative ways to use vegetables I would not normally purchase (quick tutorial on how a farm share works: you pay a weekly fee for a box of whatever vegetables and fruit are ready to be harvested, so you never really know what you'll end up with). At any rate, I'll be culinarily challenged, and that's always a good thing in my book.

There must be another way to use radishes other than in salads? I will need to thoroughly research this.
IMG_2402

These bad boys are going on sandwich tomorrow. Sunflower sprouts are YUM.
IMG_2403

Red Russian kale = busting out the Polish cookbook.
IMG_2404

2 comments:

Lara said...

As I was looking at your first picture, all I could think is YUM! Real food looks so much more appealing than processed food. The colors and textures not to mention the flavors are spectacular. Great photos!

Sara Anthony said...

I know this is extremely simple, but I love radishes chilled from the fridge, rinsed & sprinkled with flaky salt - actually really satisfying to snack on instead of popcorn. Other than that... I have no clue either about what to use them for!

Post a Comment

OK, here's the deal on commenting: I love comments!

But it's more fun for me to know who is posting comments, and then I can leave fun comments on your site, too, whatever that may be.

Isn't that fun?

FUN, I say.

If you want to be all anonymous and elusive like that, I'm alright with that, but really, it's more fun my way.

Anyway, carry on with whatever you were going to say. Don't be shy. I don't bite, and I will love you forever for your comment.